Friday, June 15, 2007

Process or Product Knitter?

I was reading a book Joe and Jill gave me, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off. The author writes the immensely popular (well, popular with knitters anyhow) Yarn Harlot blog.

In the book, she writes about the distinction between process knitters (ones who enjoy knitting for its own sake) and product knitters (ones who knit mainly to get the finished product). I have always been a process knitter. I detest the finishing-up stage of knitting, where I have to wash, block and seam the pieces together. In my youth, I tended to complete the knitting stage, throw the pieces in the closet and get back to finishing it months later, usually in the wrong season to wear the sweater. I am more disciplined these days and try to finish my projects within a reasonable amount of time. I only have two works-in-progress (for knitting only ... I'm not counting WIPs for other hobbies) and one awaiting in my stash, which is pretty good for me. As I grow older, I'm trying harder not to reach the SABLE (Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy) point.

I'm not a process person for all my hobbies. I'm definitely a product sewer. I dislike most sewing tasks but I like having the ability to make custom skating dresses for my kids at a fraction of the price. I'm not that good at sewing, but as long as the dresses don't split apart after a spiral and the seams don't look crooked from a (largish) distance, that's good enough for me. If you knit or pursue another hobby (e.g. playing a musical instrument), feel free to leave me a comment telling me whether you do it for the process or product.

1 comment:

Crafty Craken said...

I'm a product and process knitter. I do like knitting for knitting's sake, and I don't mind sewing in ends. I do hate blocking - not sure what I'm going to do now that I don't have a carpet to pin it to. I'm not to fond of sewing together, but I force myself to do it right away (i.e. no new knitting until done), but I don't have the stash that you do. ;)

See, blankets are nice to knit. Little finishing required!