Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Stonehenge and Salisbury

This morning, we took the train to Salisbury (pronounced Solz-bree, as I'd been taught by a work colleague before arrival). From Salisbury, we took a bus to Stonehenge, which was on my list of must-see sites in England. My vision of Stonehenge had been shaped by Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and reinforced by the glorious scenes at the end of Roman Polanski's film adaptation. I should have expected but was still surprised by the hoards of camera-toting tourists like myself, the parking lot full of buses, the bustling gift shop, and the roar of the traffic from the highway that had brought us here. All these marred the beauty of Stonehenge for me ... but only slightly. It is still a wondrous sight and I was glad I'd travelled to see it.


We are now back in Salisbury and staying at the Red Lion, which was originally a 13-th century inn. Fortunately, we did not have much luggage, as this made it easier to manoeuvre the many narrow and winding staircases to get to our room. The room itself is quite comfortable and it is always nice to have 21-st century comforts like a wireless network. We had a good pub dinner and Kate ordered real English macaroni and cheese, not that plastic Kraft Dinner stuff we get at home.

No comments: