Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday Craft Update -- December 16

I spent the entire week sewing skating dresses for the kids' club competition (an informal annual fun competition for the local members), which will be held next weekend. It took me a few hours to finish Julia's dress, as she asked for a simple design that I'd used in previous years. Making Kate's dress took the rest of the week.

First, the design Kate chose required a zipper. I've not yet mastered the art of applying zippers to lycra. If anyone has advice on how to make this easier, other than baste, baste and baste some more, please let me know. The pattern instructions suggested using adhesive tape to stabilize the fabric. Bad idea, at least with the type of tape I used.

Second, those of you who have met Kate know how particular she is about things. Skating dresses are no exception. She fussed about the style, the colour, the embellishments ("It's just too plain, Mommy!"), and everything else except, ironically, the zipper. When I suggested, as calmly as I could, that she wear her old skating dress instead of putting us both through this frustration, her reply was, "My skating coach says it's illegal to participate in the competition with an old dress." I'm sure her coach didn't put it quite that way, but she does have a new dress now and won't risk being arrested as she steps on the ice.

No comments: