Friday, July 27, 2007

Scrabble Game

Today, my friend Ian joined me over lunch hour for a Scrabble game. Ian is an expert player and had, over the years, taught me all the Scrabble strategy I know. We used to play together regularly when we were grad students. Sadly, we have to do real work for a living now and that really cuts into Scrabble time.

Neither of us was in top form today (it's been a long time since I'd last studied a word list) but we did have some notable plays, including the bingos TEAZELS (Ian) and DIATOMS (me). I was particularly proud of BOHO which is in the 4th edition of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (OSPD). I had to explain the meaning to Ian; I guess I read more fashion magazines than he does. In the end, Ian beat me by 13 points. An upstart co-op student at work pointed out that I could have won if I'd played JOES on K5, but OI (one of the new OSPD4 words) hadn't made it into my vocabulary yet.

By the way, the well-loved Scrabble board shown above was given to me by Penny 16 years ago. She'd brought it from England, and I've never seen such a board sold in North America.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We played Scrabble tonight with friends on their Scrabble board which they got in the states. It is on a turntable and there is grid to hold the tiles in place . Really neat.Sandra