Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Craft Update -- February 27

Tomorrow marks the start of Bernat's 2011 Knit and Crochet Along to support Project Linus, a non-profit organization that distributes blankets to seriously ill children. Bernat will be offering four new free patterns for baby blankets. All blankets delivered to their offices by August 1 will be sent on to Project Linus.

Bernat had sent the announcement earlier in February, and of course, I couldn't wait until the official start of the event, so I picked up a bunch of Bernat Baby Softee and started a blanket using one of their previously published free patterns. Now I have a growing stack of crocheted squares in front of me. Making afghan squares is the ultimate portable project.

I also bought myself a brand new Addi Comfort Grip crochet hook. It took me a while to get used to it, but now the crocheting is going very smoothly. After getting blisters from my old crochet hooks, this thought suddenly struck me. I've been spending a fortune these past years buying premium knitting needles, and I don't regret a penny I've spent on these tools which I constantly use. So why am I still using the crappy plastic crochet hooks I bought 20 years ago when I couldn't afford (and didn't know about) anything better? Moreover, high-end crochet hooks are way cheaper than high-end knitting needles, so I think it's time to replace my entire collection.

No comments: