Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dewey's Read-a-thon: Summary

Well, the read-a-thon is done and I managed to finish A Thread of Sky, 10 minutes after the official end time. I will eventually post a review on my LibraryThing account. My total reading time was 9.5 hours. As a summary of the event, I'll post my answers for the End of Event meme:

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
    11pm to midnight, right before I decided to go to bed.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
    There are a lot of great young-adult books out there. I had no trouble getting through Half Life, the first book I finished for the read-a-thon.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
    A separate page listing all the mini-challenges announced up to the current time, with start and end times, would be helpful.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
    The event was very well organized, and I appreciated the comments from the Cheerleaders. I'm glad that a good portion of the prizes were reserved for the cheerleading squad.
  5. How many books did you read?
    Two, and about one-third of another.
  6. What were the names of the books you read?
    Half Life
    by Hiromi Goto
    A Thread of Sky
    by Deanna Fei
    Clouds of Witness
    by Dorothy Sayers (still in progress)
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?
    I thought Half Life was exceptionally good, but I also enjoyed A Thread of Sky.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?
    I like Dorothy Sayers, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of Clouds of Witness, but the witty upper-class banter tends to be less appealing in the late hours of a read-a-thon.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
    I wasn't a Cheerleader, but I really appreciated having them visit my blog.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
    I definitely want to participate in the Read-a-thon again, and I'll be sure to sign up for at least an hour of cheerleading next time. One thing I regret is not taking enough time to visit other reader's blogs. I still plan to do this in the next few days, to see what others had read and hopefully get some good book recommendations.
That's it for now. Many thanks to the organizers and cheerleaders of this terrific event!

1 comment:

Crafty Craken said...

Wow! The most updates to your blog in a recent while. :) Glad you had a good time reading.